Ware Town Council
Area: Approximately 1400 acres
Population: Approximately 17,680 (1995 estimate)
Offices: at The Priory, Ware (01920 460316)
Powers and functions are those prescribed for Parish Councils and governed by the Local Government Act 1972. In addition the Town Council are Trustees of the Priory Charity and also
Custodian of the Place House.
The Principal Functions and Activities are:
Generally acting as the grass roots of Local Government liasing with other larger authorities on all matters of local interest, such as town planning and their effect on the Town.
- Management and control of the Priory and its Grounds (including the tennis courts and open air swimming pool).
- Management of the Cemetry.
- Maintenance of the War Memorial, Church Clock and Churchyards at St.Mary's Church.
- Provision of litter bins and public seats.
- Organisation of Ware Festival and Financing the various events.
- Support and encouragement of Town Twinning with W¨lfrath, Germany.
- Two allotment sites in the town: King George Road and Widbury Hill
The Town Council precepts on the East Herts District Council for the amount of monies estimated to be required for Town Council purposes in each financial year. The District Council
converts this precept to a charge in £ which is levied with District and County Charges from charge payers of Ware.
The Town Council has 11 elected members from whom the Town Mayor is elected.