District Plan Pre-submission Draft

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Ware?
mb1

Re: District Plan Pre-submission Draft

Post by mb1 »

The town is growing slowly, people have more cars, and the infrastructure can't cope. All sorts of infrastructure problems will flow from this, the plan even says that about the town centre but then the planers say screw them let's add 1000-1500 houses anyway. The area will sadly become unliveable.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I need to read the plan then. My feeling is that there is a serious problem here for the town. I don't want to be accused of 'nimbyism' or whatever the term is but Ware high street is now down to 'horse and cart' speed already.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Who went to the consultation last night? My husband heard someone say that the number of houses had been reduced down to 1000, which probably means that was the figure they were aiming for in the first place.
jbond

Post by jbond »

Comment on the proposal here before 15/12/16 17:00
http://consult.eastherts.gov.uk/portal
Ian

Post by Ian »

jbond wrote:Comment on the proposal here before 15/12/16 17:00
http://consult.eastherts.gov.uk/portal
I have made my comments, hopefully everyone else will comment too.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Matt40 wrote:Something has prompted my interest in this today and that is the traffic in town. I have lived here 10 years and it used to be much quieter and yet now it takes a good ten minutes to get through the high street on a 'good' day. What is the reason for this? Is it the Ware population increasing with more flats etc or something else? My road used to be relatively quiet (collet/bourne road) but now it's used as a 'rat run' to avoid the town I think. If my thoughts are correct then I just cannot imagine the town accommodating another 1000 homes. I will probably move again in search of more peace and quiet lol!
Reference this from Matt40 - there are a lot of reasons why this is so. Sheer traffic density is part of it but a number of quite subtle other issues have impacted. For instance, the number of pedestrian crossings - one in Baldock Street and four down the length of the High Street. Each of them takes an age to react if you press them, and by the time they stop the traffic most have crossed the road through a convenient gap or died of boredom. Once they are at stop, they wait an inordinately long time to restart traffic, despite being hung with cameras that ought to be able detect (lack of) movement. And the carefully redesigned junctions (especially with Star Street) that prevent more than one car accessing the High Street at once. Add a smattering of delivery lorries and illegal parking (for banks, Sainsburys) and you have 5 mph. Which is what was designed for. They have made the High Street technically impassable. You should either walk, or use the bypass - I can hear the cheers in Herts Highways that we have finally Got It.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Matt40 wrote:Something has prompted my interest in this today and that is the traffic in town. I have lived here 10 years and it used to be much quieter and yet now it takes a good ten minutes to get through the high street on a 'good' day. What is the reason for this? Is it the Ware population increasing with more flats etc or something else? My road used to be relatively quiet (collet/bourne road) but now it's used as a 'rat run' to avoid the town I think. If my thoughts are correct then I just cannot imagine the town accommodating another 1000 homes. I will probably move again in search of more peace and quiet lol!
My earliest experience of Ware Matt40 which was before I moved there was driving a truck through the town which was then the A10 as there was no by-pass in those days the building of the by-pass would have made the town seem deserted at least for awhile, I'm sure there are others who can recall the pre by-pass days? To keep everything in perspective the speed of traffic in London in the early 1900's with the horse and carriage was 12 mph and now in 2016 with the modern internal combustion engine its still 12 mph so the aim in Was must be to achieve the said speed through the High Street and anything less will be deemed a benefit to safety by the powers that be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I am no expert on the procedural process of this plan but I can't help think that upon reading Mark Prisk's letter that I just think it's all a bit of whitewash really with the decision already made. Mark Prisk's letter is carefully constructed to be all things to all men but what effect will it have? Perhaps he'd have more clout if he was still Minister of State for Housing? I may be just cynical but I think Andy B and Scottman are right in that 'slow' is 'good' but it doesn't take much margin of error to get the town speed down from 12mph to zero.

I think Ware is a lovely town and its a fact that young families are itching to get in this town with the good restuarants, schools etc but I fear this plan could ruin the town and I'll be cashing in my chips and moving back to the Kent coast once the kids have flown the nest!
Last edited by Matt40 on Fri 23 Dec 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I heard that Ware was once the old A10. I still find this very hard to believe!!