Virgin broadband - again

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Mel

Virgin broadband - again

Post by Mel »

Is anyone else having problems especially in the evening? Ours is really slow then. Thanks
Aardvaark

Re: Virgin broadband - again

Post by Aardvaark »

Not really Mel, although I don't use it in the evening as much as during the day so I guess maybe it slows when lots of people come home? It did go a bit weird yesterday for a short time around lunchtime, again I guess a fault somewhere but it didn't last long.
Mel

Post by Mel »

It's been a real pain lately since the upgrade in speed. Can't get on to Google but can get on to Edge! Maybe Microsoft are to blame :D yet it was ok last night.
Speculator

Post by Speculator »

Try changing channels. There are 13 channels to choose from.

see

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/self ... TYPE=Cable
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thanks, will try that.
Mel

Post by Mel »

sorry to ask but why would changing the channel help? It's perfect most of the time and rubbish sometimes! Cheers
Ian

Post by Ian »

This is the channel the wireless router uses. there are lots of wireless routers around these days and if someone is using the same channel that yours is, it will slow traffic down. Changing the channel will help if that's the case.

We use wireless for most of our connections, and we get slower speeds, but it really varies for no apparent reason. If I plug a machine into the back of the router with a wire, I always get in excess of 70 mbs, but wireless can drop sometimes to below 10. it also depends on the PC in my experience, some are faster than others, again for no apparent reason.
Mel

Post by Mel »

We use a desk top plugged in to the modem but the son is coming up at the weekend so I'll get him to have a look! Thanks. Have to test the phone and the tablet on the Wifi as well.