Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
Scottman

Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

Post by Scottman »

I wonder if its time for some discussion on the performance of our local 'tip'. How are WoLers getting on with the present arrangements? Is the decision to close it on Thursdays and Fridays working well, or has there been an increase in fly tipping? Some thoughtful and constructive feedback here might help East Herts Council in its future planning for this heavily used facility....
Northsider

Re: Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

Post by Northsider »

While it works well enough for me, I think the facility could be improved - I've been to better ones in Herts! It's pretty cramped and having to close it every time a skip needs exchanging is a bit inconvenient (having waited in the middle of the A602 on two occasions recently).
Haven't noticed any increase in fly-tipping.
I like the items for sale - having "donated" two things and bought one.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Don't get me started on this topic! Everything I predicted about this closure is happening. Long queues due to reduced opening times, one queue south to north (maybe east to west?) in the middle of the road and the other way blocking the normal traffic. It can only be a matter of time before an accident happens. And the container changing times just add to these pressures! I have noticed increased fly tipping, most notably a mattress tossed to the side of the road by the tip the other week. It's a complete false economy to reduce the tip's hours both in terms of local council budgets and the wider green issue. I guess this is trodden ground and I still don't understand the councils reasoning for doing this. Rant over :D
Alec

Post by Alec »

For an alternative view, my only disappointment is that I've wanted to go on the days it's closed, which can be frustrating.

Other than that, though, I've not noticed queueing or overcrowding. The only queues being when it's closed for skip movement - but that's no different from before the change in times.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

I would say there is clear evidence of increased fly tipping - often at the closed gates themselves despite the alleged camera surveillance. The lay by opposite, the side of the on slip to the A10 going south, and various places at Rush Green and in Hoe Lane seem to be favourite spots.

Personally I tend to agree with Matt40 that its got to be a false economy. It's more difficult to use the tip now - queueing, closures for container exchanges and the sheer number of people using it over fewer hours.
Damo5

Post by Damo5 »

Went there a few Sundays back to find gate half closed, assumed they were moving skips around so came back an hour later, still closed (for no obvious reason) so went to the site on the A414 which highlighted something for me.
The current staff at Westmill are not exactly user focused or making that much of an effort to encourage recycling, where the staff at the A414 site seemed more engaged with users and what was going on there.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

You are right and here's another gripe. So you get 'asked' to use another depot when ours is closed. So I take the remnants of an old tree or whatever from depot to depot. Ten miles of petrol consumption being dumped into the air! Would have been more 'green' to put it in my black bin!
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

A day off so I decided to take some stuff to the refuse site. Alas, I forgot they are shut Thursdays and Fridays, grrhhh. Ridiculous state of affairs, how does this encourage us all to be 'green'?
Alec

Post by Alec »

Just need to check before you go:
http://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/service ... /hwrc2015/
(also worth checking so the summer/winter closing times don't catch you out)

I'm versed with the Ware tip being closed Thu/Fri, though it's unfortunate that I'm far more likely to want to use it on those days.

Today, we were off to Aldi in Hoddesdon, so went there instead (closed Tue/Wed)
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I've been clearing the garden so had to make a few dump runs over the past few weeks.
Being closed Thu, Fri is a pain if that's when you need to be making dump runs. So you have to drive further, waste time and fuel.
And I've noticed the Westmill dump seems to busier when it is open. Queuing out along the road. Again wasting time and fuel while waiting.

But of course that's what it comes down to. The council saves money and those that need to use the facility get a lesser service at a greater cost to them in real terms.
That was the intention surely?