Ware Town Council

Committees, the mayor and local authority issues
Ian

Re: Ware Town Council

Post by Ian »

Wareite1969 wrote:...do you really think EHDC will be interested in organising Ware Festival, Dickensian Evening or supporting the many things that happen at a very local level....
Just to correct this misconception, although Ware Town Council do support these events and their support is welcome, the majority of events in Ware are organized and put on by volunteers many of whom have nothing to do with any council.
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

Ian wrote:
Wareite1969 wrote:...do you really think EHDC will be interested in organising Ware Festival, Dickensian Evening or supporting the many things that happen at a very local level....
Just to correct this misconception, although Ware Town Council do support these events and their support is welcome, the majority of events in Ware are organized and put on by volunteers many of whom have nothing to do with any council.
My apologies I should have said organising / supporting as they do both. The sentiment still stands though - Local people organise better local events and EHDC will not be interested.
Byronsnr

Post by Byronsnr »

One major change around Ware I allude to in my post is the Current Draft Plan, its origins being in 2011 and the mandatory planning obligations on Ware actually set from that date! Any major or significant planning application for Ware is decided upon by EHC. This is despite at least three Ware related councillors being listed on the EHC Development Management Planning Committee but I see no evidence of their sway in Ware’s favour in these matters. WTC have a duplicate planning committee and are clearly obliged to rubber stamp EHC planning approvals set before them even if they disapprove! EHC receive our Council Tax which suggests we “Their Customer” and “Paymaster” consider re-negotiating OUR terms and conditions, our key requirements which would also include those non-strategic key issues such as Dickensian Evening and the others recently posted. The County currently sits our 106 £56 Million pounds, so there is no excuse for us to except any loss in service even without WTCouncil.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Sorry but I think you must live in some strange other reality - WTC certainly do not "rubber stamp" as even a brief look at the various minutes would show.
But the problem is that EHDC simply ignore whatever decision they reach.

As for the other services they would go - EHDC would certainly not keep the Lido open and have already closed all the public toilets (the one operated by WTC being the only one left and how long would that last)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Byronsnr wrote:...the Current Draft Plan, its origins being in 2011 and the mandatory planning obligations on Ware actually set from that date!...
Actually, it's origins are in the East of England plan that was put forward in 2008. The East of England plan was abolished, but the content was carried over to the current plan unchanged, so the housing needs are based on the perceived need before the recession hit. If you ask councillors why it is still valid some 5 years later they are adamant that the growth projections haven't changed so don't need updating.

It was clear from the consultation on previous versions of the draft plan (the so called "call for sites") that nothing has changed. I attended one of the planning meetings and was told then that the figure of 3000 new houses for Ware was "a made up figure". Interesting to note that it's still in the plan. I guess we should be thankful that at least the need for infrastructure in in the plan, though I expect this will not be addressed when the development is carried out as it will all be paid as section 106 money which remains unspent.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

The Masked Woler wrote:.......

As for the other services they would go - EHDC would certainly not keep the Lido open and have already closed all the public toilets (the one operated by WTC being the only one left and how long would that last)
There's still a public toilet in Ware! Where is it?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The public toilet is in the priory grounds and is kept open, clean and functioning. That is in marked contrast to the disgusting state to which EHDC toilets were allowed to sink before they were closed for good with EHDC graciously paying Tesco to allow us all to use the toilets we used anyway. Itis no accident that the only EHDC people we see in Ware are issuing parking fines.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

I have to say that I think that being able to use toilets of businesses without using the business is a really good solution.

They are cleaned regularly, safe, and there are more of them. They feel much safer and hygienic than public toilets.

I have used the Spread Eagle, The Tap Bar, and Tesco, all without incident.

FB
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

FurtiveBertie wrote:I have to say that I think that being able to use toilets of businesses without using the business is a really good solution.

They are cleaned regularly, safe, and there are more of them. They feel much safer and hygienic than public toilets.

I have used the Spread Eagle, The Tap Bar, and Tesco, all without incident.

FB
There are two main issues:-

1) The people most likely to want one are visitors to the town and the scheme is very poorly advertised - when asked even most Ware residents were unaware of it.

2) Most (as per your post) are in pubs and people with children have commented that they do not feel happy taking their children in.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

2) Most (as per your post) are in pubs and people with children have commented that they do not feel happy taking their children in.
Most of the times I have used these toilets have been for FB Junior. I appreciate that "Most" does not imply "all", and I may be an exception, but I really do fail to see an issue in these enlightened times.

FB