Hidden Users

Contributions, adding your business or organisation, suggestions and feedback.
Pat-H

Re: Hidden Users

Post by Pat-H »

When you do an internet search (using Google, Bing, Yahoo or others) it doesn't actually go an search the whole internet. It searches it's current list of found content.
That content is collected and indexed by "Bots" which are software programmes that search the net and index the contents.
Web pages can have instructions in them to help feed those bots (or direct them to ignore those pages)

Interestingly over 90% (I think it maybe 98%) of the internet isn't available to those search bots so your searches only ever see a very small portion of the data out there on the web.
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Don't forget if you are just having a read as to what's been happening/going on etc you have no need or don't have to log on. Its only like now when making a post. I'm sure that people are not being furtive (Sorry Bertie) Or shy in any way. :)
IGS

Post by IGS »

Barzey wrote:Don't forget if you are just having a read as to what's been happening/going on etc you have no need or don't have to log on. Its only like now when making a post. I'm sure that people are not being furtive (Sorry Bertie) Or shy in any way. :)
Not being logged on you would be registered as a guest. Even if you decide to hide your profile the numbers of people on WOL Forum come up. My initial post was wondering what it meant and given what's has been in the news with Edward Snowden I got a bit worried.
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

IGS wrote:
Barzey wrote:Don't forget if you are just having a read as to what's been happening/going on etc you have no need or don't have to log on. Its only like now when making a post. I'm sure that people are not being furtive (Sorry Bertie) Or shy in any way. :)
Not being logged on you would be registered as a guest. Even if you decide to hide your profile the numbers of people on WOL Forum come up. My initial post was wondering what it meant and given what's has been in the news with Edward Snowden I got a bit worried.
Hmmm. Could WoL be a threat to national, nay international, security? Let's get hold of Winter and ask him. He'd know about stuff like that, being ex-military and ex-police.
IGS

Post by IGS »

WickenMan wrote:
IGS wrote:
Hmmm. Could WoL be a threat to national, nay international, security? Let's get hold of Winter and ask him. He'd know about stuff like that, being ex-military and ex-police.
That explains a lot; has anyone seen Winter and Edward Snowden together? :lol:
JCB

Post by JCB »

Seriously????? Winter is long gone and need never be referenced again. Please show some consideration for the collateral damage left behind.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

JCB wrote:Seriously????? Winter is long gone and need never be referenced again. Please show some consideration for the collateral damage left behind.
I agree.
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

Whereaami wrote:
JCB wrote:Seriously????? Winter is long gone and need never be referenced again. Please show some consideration for the collateral damage left behind.
I agree.
I don't agree!

If IGS wants to reference an infamous person in Ware, surely he can.

Who else shouldn't ever be allowed to be mentioned on WOL? Anyone convicted of any crime at all? Someone who is disliked and upset/conned anyone on WOL? Where does it end.
Ian

Post by Ian »

At this point it's worth a gentle reminder to please try and stick to topic if possible. In answer to the original question about hidden users, if you have questions like this it's worth checking on the FAQ link (it stands for frequently asked questions for those who might not be familiar with the terminology). In there it states:

Q: How do I prevent my username appearing in the online user listings?
A: Within your User Control Panel, under “Board preferences”, you will find the option Hide your online status. Enable this option with Yes and you will only appear to the administrators, moderators and yourself. You will be counted as a hidden user.