Rush Green bridge repairs

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
mb1

Re: Rush Green bridge repairs

Post by mb1 »

Just to add that the electric sign board at the A602/A10 junction has been changed today to say that lane closures will begin on January 19. What is closed and when seems to be something of a moveable feast.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Pat-H wrote:I was working from MB1s post earlier
Best to go to the horse's mouth, of which the FAQ document appears to be the most helpful. Like I said earlier, it's worth reading carefully, as it can appear confusing. Which unfortunately seems to have resulted in a number of people getting the wrong end of the stick - myself included originally. You'd be amazed how many people seem to think that the A602 roundabout is the one being closed!
mb1 wrote:Just to add that the electric sign board at the A602/A10 junction has been changed today to say that lane closures will begin on January 19. What is closed and when seems to be something of a moveable feast.
What was it saying before? 19 Jan is the start of the 14 week closure of lane 1 of the A10 in both directions, albeit that there's an overnight complete closure starting 18 Jan to prepare for it.
Of course, the message on these signs has to be succinct to be readable.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Before it said Rush Green roundabout closed 8-11 January, followed by lane closures.
Ian

Post by Ian »

When I went on the A10 today at 10:30 it also said the works were being crried out between 10:00pm and 5:00am so it shouldn't affect most people.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:Before it said Rush Green roundabout closed 8-11 January, followed by lane closures.
So, it was warning about the initial roundabout closures.
Now that they're out of the way, it's warning about the next impact which will be the lane closures.
Sounds like a sensible phasing of warnings to me.
Ian wrote:When I went on the A10 today at 10:30 it also said the works were being crried out between 10:00pm and 5:00am so it shouldn't affect most people.
The Council's FAQ doesn't say anything more specific than "full night-time closures" for Mon 18 Jan & Tue 19 Jan for the whole A10 being closed, along with the same in Apr at the end of the works . 22:00-05:00 should minimise the impact at least.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Dont forget that it will be only one lane in each direction until April, probably with speed cameras, which will cause delays...
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

It won't be the speed cameras that cause the delays, as all drivers should be driving at or below the speed limit during that section.

The delays will be caused by the drivers failing to merge correctly where one lane goes down to one.

The "british" queuing culture seems to inhibit drivers from following the highway code which states that all lanes should be used and drivers should merge at the point where it reduces to one lane.
However drivers will sit in the nearside lane and curse those correctly using the empty offside lane. Even going as far as to try and prevent them merging at the front.
This doesn't seem to happen abroad where both lanes would be full and merging happens almost automatically.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Southbound A10 access to Rush Green roundabout blocked today. There is a warning at the A602 junction. Northbound access was still open when I came by although the cones are lined up ready to close it, and the signs further south on the A10 say it is closed, so I suspect it will be.

So, evening update, came up the A10 again this afternoon, signs still said the access to the A414 would be closed, but it wasn't. Perhaps tomorrow :D
John_D

Post by John_D »

mb1 wrote:Southbound A10 access to Rush Green roundabout blocked today. There is a warning at the A602 junction. Northbound access was still open when I came by although the cones are lined up ready to close it, and the signs further south on the A10 say it is closed, so I suspect it will be.

So, evening update, came up the A10 again this afternoon, signs still said the access to the A414 would be closed, but it wasn't. Perhaps tomorrow :D
The sign actually said this morning (at 5.45 :o ) ''south or southbound" took me a couple of times to register exactly what was meant...........
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

A10 Southbound is a nightmare this morning.

The Lane closure is now in place, and traffic was queuing up onto watton road at 7am this morning, finally got off the A10 at Hertford ar 7.20.

We have months of this chaos to look forward to.