Operation 'Pram'

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
jasmine98

Operation 'Pram'

Post by jasmine98 »

Well done Chief Inspector Gerry McDonald for your initiative in trying to make our footpaths safer for pedestrians in Hertford and Bishops Stortford. Please now let us have similar action in Ware where we too have many inconsiderate drivers.
Scottman

Re: Operation 'Pram'

Post by Scottman »

Is this the initiative to get parked cars off pavements?

Good if so - I really don't know how pedestrians, and in particular partially sighted people, and pram/push chair users and mobility scooter users are supposed to cope with parked cars and carelessly strewn wheelie bins left all over the pavement.
Mel

Post by Mel »

sometimes there's no alternative but to park on the pavement - slightly!
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

'Ware is a highly sustainable location, with excellent public transport links, so car ownership would be proportionately less'. I quote from the last public enquiry on planning permission for new development.

Actually we need wider pavements. Because people are ...er...wider, and because you need more space around you if your head is in a smartphone :D
jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 »

There is always an alternative to parking on the footpath, just walk a few steps to the nearest car park or allocated parking bay. Except, of course in an emergency!
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Parking on the pavement per se is not necessarily an issue as it depends on the width of the pavement - the issue is how much pavement is left for pedestrians. I read some time ago that Durham Council had decreed that if insufficient pavement is left for a pedestrian to pass with a push chair and a toddler walking beside it then that constituted an obstruction and a fine would be issued. That to me means about a metre (just over a yard or 39.4 inches to the pedantic) and seems to make perfect sense to me. Why any motorist should think it ok to park on the pavement and force pedestrians into the road is a total mystery to me.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

This is a very contentious issue. As a grandmother pushing my granddaughter I too have to negotiate narrow pavements with wheelie bins and parked vehicles on the pavements. As a driver I also have to negotiate narrow roads where cars are parked both sides (with no readily available alternative) and also I have to park my car (half on the pavement) to ensure that vehicles can get down my road - especially the bin men, lorries and fire engines.
Ware was not designed for drivers or prams for that matter and unless or until adequate off road parking in residential roads is provided I cannot see any alternative.
I sympathise entirely with wheelchair users, partially sighted people or those with buggies or prams - our pavements are too narrow in very many areas.
Equally I sympathise with the residents who return home from perhaps a long commute (and not everywhere is served well by public transport around here) and or a trip to the shops to find that they cannot park near to their house and have to manhandle shoppping and/or small children in to their house.
The only solution to the problem is to concrete over one side of every residential road, so that both pavement users and road users have plenty of space to manoeuvre!
:lol: :roll:
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

This 'problem' is not just around the older roads of central Ware - it is being re-created with every new housing development in the town.

Until our Councillors and Planners get real with existing car use, and toughen up on developers providing proper space allocations for parking off road, this will continue to be a problem.