50 more houses, is Park Road not busy enough ?

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Ware?
Dazzzzer

Re: 50 more houses, is Park Road not busy enough ?

Post by Dazzzzer »

I didn't object to the district plan and have not read it, all I know is what I have heard from others.

What I do know is that like it or not housing is a nationwide issue and I don't have a problem with managed schemes with appropriate infrastructure etc. Cambourne near Cambridge is a good example, what I do object to is existing towns being crammed full of houses and flats without the other improvements that are required.

Back to the Park Road topic, which is a bit uncomfortable for me as I was on the Governing Body of Chauncy for a number of years (its a fantastic school and all my kids attended) and want to continue to support its development but as a local resident strongly object to 50 homes being built on such a busy road.

Of course I want the school to develop and prosper, probably more than most, but I do not agree with this development in its current form for a variety of reasons nor do I think Schools should sell land to raise money but if they do it should be with the appropriate consultation with those it affects.

Wouldn't the locations be better the other way around, the new hall would be better near the existing swimming pool and gym and the housing accessed off Page Hill, not such busy road.

Whilst it is great reading responses, you can see who lives nearby and who do not !

If you are not aware, before Chauncy submit the formal planning application they have a drop-in type meeting on Wednesday 12th November between 4.30 and 7.30pm where you can look at the proposals in more detail.

Pity this was not done before the students were told they will be getting a new building and the Head announcing it will happen regardless of public opinion !

Are people aware of the additional housing adjacent to ASDA. 50 more houses, is Park Road not busy enough !
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Dazzzzer wrote:I didn't object to the district plan and have not read it, all I know is what I have heard from others..........................................

...............................Whilst it is great reading responses, you can see who lives nearby and who do not !

You can indeed.
garymanchee

Post by garymanchee »

"The best way to stop traffic jams would be for the many parents who drive from trapstyle road to Chauncy and St Caths to stop doing so"

You kidding - with over 1000 pupils most are bussed in ond way or another from all around the area. Apart from Presdales this is the only senior school in the Ware area - they all live in trapstyle do they?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

You see a decent number of cars from Trapstyle driving kids down every morning. As well as cars from 5 minutes walking distance in the other direction. Add those to the Glaxo employees and there's your jam. People are lazy and would rather moan about the amount of traffic at rush hours than do anything about it, like walking into town or to school. A small housing development will not appreciably add to the problem. There is no traffic problem on Park Road outside of school/Glaxo rush hour.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Make sure that the 50 houses have a sensible number of parking spaces, or you'll add parked car problems to the rest of the general congestion that will result. EHC seems to be of the opinion that if they don't provide car spaces then people won't need cars .....Duh!
John_D

Post by John_D »

Scottman wrote:Make sure that the 50 houses have a sensible number of parking spaces, or you'll add parked car problems to the rest of the general congestion that will result. EHC seems to be of the opinion that if they don't provide car spaces then people won't need cars .....Duh!
Thoroughly agree, you've only got to look at the similar development, in the Sacombe Road, adjacent to the junior school at Bengeo (another sell off of school grounds I believe) to see how many cars are parked in the road outside the development, causing chaos, because of insufficient parking, worse still are the big vans and trucks that are parked there. Sadly lots of people these days have large company vehicles which they bring home and park in totally unsuitable places near their houses. :?
MrsJones

Post by MrsJones »

As a resident of Fanshawe Crescent, a road used constantly as a cut through between Park Road and Watton Road, I am concerned at the additional congestion 50 extra houses on Park Road will cause. Most people these days are 2 car families so that will be an extra 100 cars driving up and down Fanshawe Crescent on a daily basis!
Alec

Post by Alec »

I do feel for Fanshawe Crescent residents, as they do seem to suffer from a lot of through traffic congestion to Park Road and Harris's Lane. I think the aim of the Park Road / Watton Road roundabout, introduced in the 90s, was to make this a more attractive junction to drivers - but with limited success. :-(

That said, of course, plenty of journeys to/from Park Road don't go via Fanshawe Cresc, but via the end of the road or Harris's Lane. So you're hopefully over-estimating the impact on Fanshawe Cresc.

Do make sure you feed back into the consultation process as a concerned local resident: http://chauncyschool.com/chauncy-community-partnership/
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Am I right in thinking that there will be changes to the Fanshawe Crescent/Watton Road junction as part of the Asda development, can anyone remember what the changes will be?
Cod

Post by Cod »

Selling off school fields is just short sighted. The town is growing and will need increased school facilities to cope with the increased population.

The new hall should be built with some of the money East Herts got for selling off Trinity. It should be built on the currently little used area next to the swimmimg pool leaving the rest of the grounds as open fields.

Building on Chauncy School, Herts Regional College and Musley Hill School is just taking land out of community use to build homes for more people which will increase the demand on community services. It is unsustainable.