50 more houses, is Park Road not busy enough ?

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Ware?
RichardH

Re: 50 more houses, is Park Road not busy enough ?

Post by RichardH »

The "currently little used area next to the swimming pool" IS the bit they are proposing to build on - albeit houses rather than the sports hall. As far as I am aware, it has not been used by the school for sports for several years, if not longer - the secluded nature makes it difficult to supervise.

The sports hall is proposed to be positioned up near the school, using a small part of the "nature area" - so no in use playing field area will be removed.

From that perspective, I would think that if Chauncy grows then the sports hall will allow them to cope with the increase better than still having the bottom corner of playing field where the houses are proposed.

I agree with comments re Fanshawe Cres - shame they can't make it a no through road or something similar.

Don't forget you can go along the school today from 4:30 - 7:30pm to learn more.

mb1

Post by mb1 »

One sensible measure would be to make the Watton Road end of Fanshawe Crescent no entry from say 8.30 to 9.15, and the Park Road end the same between 3pm and 6pm. It works in Bengeo for Cross Road. This would make life much harder for the school run drivers and encourage walking by local people.

ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

That's a good idea. I wonder if it would work on the roads to the North of Ware that have become cut throughs during the morning and evening ?

Dazzzzer

Post by Dazzzzer »

RichardH wrote:The "currently little used area next to the swimming pool" IS the bit they are proposing to build on - albeit houses rather than the sports hall. As far as I am aware, it has not been used by the school for sports for several years, if not longer - the secluded nature makes it difficult to supervise.

The sports hall is proposed to be positioned up near the school, using a small part of the "nature area" - so no in use playing field area will be removed.

From that perspective, I would think that if Chauncy grows then the sports hall will allow them to cope with the increase better than still having the bottom corner of playing field where the houses are proposed.

I agree with comments re Fanshawe Cres - shame they can't make it a no through road or something similar.

Don't forget you can go along the school today from 4:30 - 7:30pm to learn more.
The School may not have used the land for some time but clubs and the local community have, especially during the snowy season !

If the School must sell off land for financial gain surely the Sports Hall would be more suited located next to the already established swimming pool and gym. Much needed additional parking could be provided and it can be easily accessed and used by the local community to raise more money like John Warner.

Dazzzzer

Post by Dazzzzer »

mb1 wrote:One sensible measure would be to make the Watton Road end of Fanshawe Crescent no entry from say 8.30 to 9.15, and the Park Road end the same between 3pm and 6pm. It works in Bengeo for Cross Road. This would make life much harder for the school run drivers and encourage walking by local people.
Really, might be good for Fanshawe Cresent but this would just add to the problems Park Road.

No further developments would help, especially not until ASDA is established so the full impact on the Highways can be measured

mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm very curious why people feel a very small number of houses/flats will present a major problem in terms of traffic when nobody, nobody at all, lodged any objection to the doubling of student numbers at St Catherines as it becomes two form entry - since that development will have a far greater impact on Park Road traffic.

Dazzzzer

Post by Dazzzzer »

mb1 wrote:I'm very curious why people feel a very small number of houses/flats will present a major problem in terms of traffic when nobody, nobody at all, lodged any objection to the doubling of student numbers at St Catherines as it becomes two form entry - since that development will have a far greater impact on Park Road traffic.
Chauncy has had a number of new buildings over the last few years, these were not objected to either.

Selling off land for housing, and 50 is not a small number, will always get more attention but you have a point !

mb1

Post by mb1 »

It's a significantly smaller development than Plaxton Way on Widbury Hill and that has had no noticeable effect on traffic whatsoever.

garymanchee

Post by garymanchee »

mb1 wrote:It's a significantly smaller development than Plaxton Way on Widbury Hill and that has had no noticeable effect on traffic whatsoever.
its not on a school run route nor does it have a multi-national company situated on the road does it? and it a through road? what else have you forgotten?

mb1

Post by mb1 »

That misses the point completely. Its a major route into Ware and drops directly into the High Street, it is busy. The volume of traffic that is there has not noticeably increased with a substantially larger housing development than the one planned for park Road, that's the point. The traffic flow has not been affected at all.