Kingshill Firework Field and the District Plan

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Ware?
pigwig

Kingshill Firework Field and the District Plan

Post by pigwig »

AA Environmental LLP representatives were surveying Kingshill firework field and the crop fields beyond today. Their website says they provide advice for the Construction and Development sectors. The fields are on the District Plan under Wareside so am wondering whether decisions have now been made regarding the development of these fields.
Steve

Re: Kingshill Firework Field and the District Plan

Post by Steve »

pigwig wrote:AA Environmental LLP representatives were surveying Kingshill firework field and the crop fields beyond today. Their website says they provide advice for the Construction and Development sectors. The fields are on the District Plan under Wareside so am wondering whether decisions have now been made regarding the development of these fields.
I believe the fields are currently Green Belt, under the current District Plan.

The Emerging District Plan, currently in draft form, is about identifying areas suitable for development. Before this new plan is finalised there will be a further public consultation. Once a plan has been finalised by the council it has to be submitted to the government and approved. Only then does it become the adopted District Plan. So the short answer to your question is - no.

Before any development takes place on the land, a planning application has to be submitted and approved. Any decision has to be based on the current District Plan. In the current District Plan the fields are Green Belt (as far as I know). Any developer is at liberty to submit a planning application but the land's Green Belt status will most likely see any application refused.

Whilst AA Environmental LLP may have been surveying the land, it is unclear what exactly they were surveying or who their client was. The District Council only formulates policy on land use, it doesn't actually build homes.

For what it's worth, it is unlikely that a new District Plan will be adopted before 2017. Even then it is likely to be at least a year away IMHO. Many local councils are struggling with the sheer complexity of the task, which involves numerous stakeholders as well as neighbouring authorities and the County Council. For instance, any plan has to include figures to show that the roads infrastructure can support housing development. Unfortunately, at the moment the County Council doesn't have software capable of making those projections (although they're working on it). Without that analysis, the Government may not accept any new District Plan due to lack of evidence of sustainability.
pigwig

Post by pigwig »

I do know what they were surveying as I asked. They were looking for reptiles such as snakes and lizards. I have also looked at the Government website and it says (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/reptiles-pr ... d-licences) :

Survey reports and mitigation plans are required for development projects that could affect protected species, as part of getting planning permission or a mitigation licence. Surveys need to show whether protected species are present in the area or nearby, and how they use the site. Mitigation plans show how you’ll avoid, reduce or manage any negative effects to protected species.
This is Natural England’s standing advice for local planning authorities who need to assess planning applications that affect reptiles. These include smooth snakes and sand lizards, which are European protected species, and these species which are protected by UK law:
adder
grass snake
common lizard
slow worm

I can also tell you that AAe hadn't found any evidence of the presence of reptiles at that point.

Whilst I don't doubt anything in your response Steve, I can't help feeling that this piece of land is now being taken more seriously for development and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody is crossing the t's & dotting the i's. Somebody has paid for AAe to survey the site and I am certain it's not for their love of reptiles.

I also know that the land falls under Wareside and not Ware. At a public meeting recently, when questioned about the possibility of development of land to the North and East of Ware, we were told that Wareside Town Council will not co-operate with Ware Town Council with regard to the District Plan. I don't think this sounds too promising either.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Sounds like the answer to help sensibly manage local development to have a supply of those species available to be drafted into certain locations as needed.
Nothing like a seemingly random migration pattern to throw a spanner into any plans....
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

If it means an end to the fireworks, then I'm all for it.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

VicarageRoader wrote:If it means an end to the fireworks, then I'm all for it.
That's a shame. The fireworks are a great local event. I know they can be disruptive but a community isn't a community if it doesn't have events to draw people together.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

No local display would mean more people doing their own at home.......even more noise and distressed pets......
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Whereaami wrote:No local display would mean more people doing their own at home.......even more noise and distressed pets......
Not sure about that, they're so expensive.

I'd say people would be more likely to go to another display, which would fortunately be a lot further away.
Steve

Post by Steve »

pigwig wrote:we were told that Wareside Town Council will not co-operate with Ware Town Council with regard to the District Plan. I don't think this sounds too promising either.
Wareside Town Council? There's no such body! I think you mean Wareside Parish Council.

The land is detailed in Chapter 9 of the the Supplement Draft East Herts District Plan Preferred Options January 2014 - Essential Reference Paper, the section that covers Ware. The area in question is referred to as WARE3.

The following is what the draft plans says:

WARE3 Land North and East of Ware

I. To meet long-term housing needs, land to the North and East of Ware is identified as a Broad Location for Development. East Herts Council will work with site promoters, Ware Town Council, Wareside Parish Council, Hertfordshire County Council, and other appropriate public and regulatory bodies to prepare a Development Plan Document to shape and refine opportunities for strategic scale development of between 200 and 3,000 homes and supporting uses and infrastructure in accordance with Policy DPS4 (Broad Locations for Development). Development shall not proceed until the adoption of the DPD.

II. Depending on the scale and form of development opportunities that are identified, in addition to the requirements of Policy DPS4 (Broad Locations for Development), the Development Plan Document and site wide masterplan is expected to address the following provisions and issues:

(a) the quantum and distribution of development within this location;

(b) key design and layout principles to guide subsequent design codes in order to ensure high quality design;

(c) a range of dwelling type and mix, in accordance with the full provisions of Policy HOU1 (Type and Mix of Housing);

(d) Affordable Housing in accordance with Policy HOU3 (Affordable Housing);

(e) quality local green infrastructure through the site including opportunities for preserving and enhancing on-site assets, maximising opportunities to link into existing assets and enhance biodiversity;

(f) necessary new utilities infrastructure, such as a new sewer to link from the development at the north of Ware to existing infrastructure to the east of the town;

(g) satisfactory water supply, including acceptable water pressure for occupants;

(h) a decentralised or District Heating system, or other low carbon heating system for residential and commercial use throughout the development, using locally sourced fuel and with appropriate long-term management arrangements;

(i) sustainable urban drainage and provision for flood mitigation;

(j)accessarrangementsandwiderstrategicandlocalhighwaysmitigationmeasures including a potential a link road between the Widbury Hill area and the A10/A1170 to both serve the development and mitigate congestion elsewhere in the town;

(k) sustainable transport measures including the encouragement of walking and cycling, and enhanced passenger transport services;

(l) a direct public footpath and cycleway from the High Oak Road area to enable direct pedestrian and cycle access to Wodson Park and the A1170;

(m) social infrastructure including: primary school/s to serve the development and appropriate surrounding catchment area/s; a secondary school to serve the development and the wider Hertford and Ware Schools Planning Area; health services and facilities; community facilities; public amenity green space and play areas;

(n)encouragingsuccessfulandactivecommunities,includinginnovativeapproaches tocreatetheconditionsforlocalresidentparticipation,governanceandstewardship of their new communities;

(o) landscaping;

(p) appropriate levels of local retail and employment opportunities to promote self containment and sustainability, including provision for home-working;

(q) the relationship between the Broad Location and the settlements of Cold Christmas, Thundridge, Wadesmill and Wareside;

(r) Green Belt boundaries;

(s) financial viability and the delivery of all necessary infrastructure;

(t) planning obligations including on and off-site developer contributions; and

(u) other policy provisions of the District Plan and relevant matters, as appropriate.

III. Land to the North and East of Ware will remain within the Green Belt until such time as it may be brought forward for development through the adoption of the Development Plan

Warewatcher

Post by Warewatcher »

With so many people using these fields for walking,picnics,jogging,dog walking, flying kites and model airpalnes and of course the annual Firework Display, surely these fields should be retained as a communal assett rather than built on?