Asda Opens 14th May

News and views on shopping in the town.
Mel

Re: Asda Opens 14th May

Post by Mel »

Thanks, I shall have a shopping trip there once to see what it's like but not between 8:00 and 9:30 am and 3:00 and 6:00 pm! Wrong end of town for me anyway. No plans to shop there regularly at the moment.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

And of course, from today the M2 bus timetable has been changed, and it is now routed via Asda.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

The transformation in the last 24 hours to the entrance is remarkable, may pop in later just to have a nose!
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Popped in to be nosey - really surprised at how busy it was. The free bacon rolls might have helped.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Will be glad of the kids clothes section for school clothes, but apart from that doesn't add anything to tesco beyond the fact that its bright and cheerful not run down and over crowded.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:Will be glad of the kids clothes section for school clothes, but apart from that doesn't add anything to tesco beyond the fact that its bright and cheerful not run down and over crowded.
Sounds like quite an improvement, then!
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

both my daughters have been in said it was great will take a look myself later
Steve

Post by Steve »

mb1 wrote:... doesn't add anything to tesco beyond the fact that its bright and cheerful not run down and over crowded.
Seriously? There's a much better range than Tesco and I was surprised how much non-food there was.

Tesco are going to take a huge hit IMHO.
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

Went in after 5 tonight and it was still busy. Huge range (but then again it was always going to beat Tesco on that front). I suspect that over time the range will change as they work out what sells and what doesn't.

Tills were a little temperamental with recognising items (especially in store bakery items) but teething problems are to be expected. Slight downside was it felt a bit dark in some aisles as shelving is quite close to the ceiling but that may be my perception. Didn't go to non food but nice to have a new option in my opinion. Closer to me so will be my choice and I think Tesco have serious competition - let's see how hard they compete.

Interestingly there was little effect on traffic on Watton Rd, the bigger problem seemed to be cars not being able to exit and turn right from ASDA. Wonder how long it will be before people get fed up with that or ASDA request traffic lights to help the flow.
pierced_rose

Post by pierced_rose »

I'll be looking to visit with my partner at some point over the weekend. It's only a short walk through the town. My opinion is that it will be nice to have another choice other than Tesco that isn't too far away, even though I do have the option to drive!

Asda might want to get their opening times sorted out on their website though as that seems at odds with what they have been advertising!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.21 KiB) Viewed 11414 times