Returning to Ware

News and views on shopping in the town.
Matt40

Re: Returning to Ware

Post by Matt40 »

DInos! I always wanted to go there. I used to look in there as I walked past it when I first moved here swearing I would give them my business when the new baby had settled etc and we had a babysitter but alas it went!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Thanks Steve I had not linked Prezzo's with that location but I had to look up Prezzo's!
Ab's Bar was what I was thinking of Thanks Craig, I thought they were good but for whatever reason were not to last.
Tudor Square had such a bright looking future with restaurants and bars and Al Fresco dining the atmosphere had great potential but maybe the apartments put paid to that as it would not have been so good for them.
Dino's was great I took boys in there when they were quite young and the interaction with the staff was brilliant at one point they were throwing balls of pizza base at the kids which they thought was fantastic sorry you missed it Matt.

So many great memories of Ware and its businesses.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Dino's was our favorite as well, gutted it went but some dodgy things went on apparently to do with money so had to close, same thing with Ab's bar, great place for a late drink and good atmosphere but again dodgy things happened from what i heard and were forced to close and sell up, that was what i was told anyhow, the one thing that stands out for me that has changed big time over the last few years is the damn traffic, is sometimes so bad we have waited nearly 10 mins to get out of cranemead as traffic backed up way back past the old Gilpin and nobody wants to let you in onto viaduct rd. makes me wonder where it all goes. Clinton cards went (not sure if it was here when you were here) and replaced by another similar shop (name eluded me) one new shop (charity again) which is actually nice to see was the Herts Air Ambulance shop, we had a load of toys and stuff recently and i spoke to the guy in there who was so nice and he even came round to our house to collect as well which was a nice touch...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Andy B wrote:30 minutes free in the car parks is good and the way to go I'm please common sense prevailed but its a shame the same does not apply to the council planning office if a recommendation is made then why its not followed is a mystery, they should at least have to give a reason for not following said advice. Its also a cost to the tax payer and when challenged on its legality the cost can only rise.
There are also hour long free slots outside the church and by the station. All in all, I think the parking in Ware is sensible and not overpriced (having just come back from Salisbury where it's a lot more expensive at 4.50 for up to 3 hours) and I've noticed the car parks are reasonably well used so seems to be working. The council have done the right thing IMO.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Andy B wrote:Thanks Steve I had not linked Prezzo's with that location but I had to look up Prezzo's!
Ab's Bar was what I was thinking of Thanks Craig, I thought they were good but for whatever reason were not to last.
Tudor Square had such a bright looking future with restaurants and bars and Al Fresco dining the atmosphere had great potential but maybe the apartments put paid to that as it would not have been so good for them.
Dino's was great I took boys in there when they were quite young and the interaction with the staff was brilliant at one point they were throwing balls of pizza base at the kids which they thought was fantastic sorry you missed it Matt.

So many great memories of Ware and its businesses.
Tutor square is crippled by the lack of passage through it.
As nobody can pass through it, few wander in and then out again. Real shame, poor design. It needed to be a route that people could use and would see footfall.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Clinton cards was there when I left Manc, what was the name of the little card shop on the corner of Church Street are they still there?

That's a sensible choice for the parking Ian and I'm sure it makes a difference to the footfall in the town I wonder if any businesses noticed a difference?

Surely Pat its still possible to walk through Tudor Square? I will admit that the back of the High Street shops was never attractive and theres the walkway at the side of the church it would only be something in the square that would bring people into it, I assume nothing became of the proposed fountain which I was against and favoured a bandstand in one corner.
Mel

Post by Mel »

That card shop is still there but has been through several owners I think. As for Tudor Square you can go past it via West Street but it would be nice to have access to St. Mary's Churchyard or even maybe through to Church Street.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Mel wrote:That card shop is still there but has been through several owners I think. As for Tudor Square you can go past it via West Street but it would be nice to have access to St. Mary's Churchyard or even maybe through to Church Street.
There used to be a footpath through the churchyard to Church Street what happened to that?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Oh Lord I think I'm losing the plot of course you can, we walked that way on Tuesday!!!! :D Getting old.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

How could you forget that :D ? It's probably the prettiest alleyway in Ware. Green leaves made flourescent by the old fashioned lamps, always nice along there whatever the season.