New recycling arrangements

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Pat-H

Re: New recycling arrangements

Post by Pat-H »

Christmas will be a test of the new arrangement but then you can't have a system geared to cope with Christmas without adding additional collection dates.

Interesting to note that they monitor the number of bins with the lids not closed (left part open) as a measure of how many users are at or beyond capacity.
So if your bin is full and you don't add that last bit to leave the lid part open you are considered to have enough capacity.
As many folk won't leave a bin like that and instead would make an alternative arrangement to dispose of the excess it creates an in accurate measure of capacity.
jediwookie

Post by jediwookie »

I think what would be good, would be to get back some of the old fashioned community spirit and have some kind of bin sharing scheme.

It would work by those that don't fill the wheelie bin to capacity could have some kind of indicator showing its not full, therefore local neighbours that are over capacity on there own bin could make use of the free space in these under utilised bins in the street.

This would save people excess trips to the dump so fuel saving and CO2 saving.
It would be a tough one to police as it will have its problems such as below
1.I think over the years we have lost the community spirit to enable this kind of system to work properly.
2. You will always get one person abuse the privilege and either put items that shouldn't go in there or over fill there neighbours instead of there own one.

This could work with all the bins not only the recycling collections.
Alec

Post by Alec »

We've shared brown bins with our neighbours.

Makes a lot of sense, as brown bin use tends not to be constant.
patthefatcat

Post by patthefatcat »

we never fill the black bin and mostly the brown/blue lidded bin can always be closed properly too.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Has anyone else had their inner box nicked? Some have gone missing near Kingsway/High Oak area for some reason in the past week. One which remained was full of old newspapers. :shock:
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

IGS wrote:Has anyone else had their inner box nicked? Some have gone missing near Kingsway/High Oak area for some reason in the past week. One which remained was full of old newspapers. :shock:
Had they been seen since the last recycling collection? I ask this as it struck me watching the collectors that it is all too easy to tip it in with the blue bins contents....unless there is an interlock on the vehicle to prevent that. It relies on the 'inner box guy' who goes round first , NOT putting the inner box back in the bin. I noticed all the bin emptiers lifting the bin lids to check the box was absent before tipping , which made me think they have had some problems in that area. Otherwise check ebay where many strange things are to be found!
Mel

Post by Mel »

yes, we've been told they are too quick emptying the bins so the inner one goes as well.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Thanks for your replies RCR1 and Mel: that could have happened or they could have been put back into the wrong bins. I like the idea that someone somewhere is going to open their Christmas presents tomorrow and get a... Box. :lol:
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Anyone who wants an inner box can have ours - we're always filling the blue bin up to the brim, so are having to store paper separately.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Spotteed in the latest (Spring 2014) issue of Link, page 16

'I the past we've collected plastic bags and film (cling film presumably) with other plastics. Now we ask you no longer to put bags and film in your blue lidded bin'

It goes on to explain why.

Not exactly the most effective way to announce this change.