General Election Hustings 24th April Ware Drill Hall

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
IGS

Re: General Election Hustings 24th April Ware Drill Hall

Post by IGS »

Andy B wrote:Was there any reason given by Mark Prisk as to why he did not attend?
From an email from the organiser:

Firstly that he had always told me that he had problems with the date, secondly that he objected to my proposal to exclude the Greens and Lib Dems -

There was no proposal to exclude the Greens or Lib-Dems and he was offered alternative dates.
Alexander Curtis

Post by Alexander Curtis »

Mark was in Sawbridgeworth on the evening of the 24th April, therefore he was unable to attend the hustings in question. When running for parliament, a PPC needs to meet voters from across the constituency. As there have been a number of hustings in Hertford and Stortford this election, it is not unreasonable that Mark couldn't attend one of them due to other campaigning commitments. In Sawbridgeworth, Mark wasn't attending a public event as he was knocking on doors instead; meeting as many people as possible.

I personally found the hustings to be disappointing. I was hoping that most of the questions would be asked by undecided voters. Unfortunately, the event was taken over by a large group of Labour council candidates. Whilst it is very important that hustings events are held during election campaigns, I believe that they shouldn't be biased towards any one particular party.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Alexander Curtis wrote:Mark was in Sawbridgeworth on the evening of the 24th April, therefore he was unable to attend the hustings in question. When running for parliament, a PPC needs to meet voters from across the constituency. As there have been a number of hustings in Hertford and Stortford this election, it is not unreasonable that Mark couldn't attend one of them due to other campaigning commitments. In Sawbridgeworth, Mark wasn't attending a public event as he was knocking on doors instead; meeting as many people as possible.

I personally found the hustings to be disappointing. I was hoping that most of the questions would be asked by undecided voters. Unfortunately, the event was taken over by a large group of Labour council candidates. Whilst it is very important that hustings events are held during election campaigns, I believe that they shouldn't be biased towards any one particular party.
He, like the other candidates, attended one at Presdales school in the afternoon of the 24th which was a safer bet for him as there weren't too many votes to lose there. (How many were eligible to vote?). This wasn't open to the general public whereas the one at the Ware Drill Hall was. Where else in Hertford or Ware has there been a hustings open to the general public?

The event was NOT taken over by any group of candidates although UKIP and Labour supporters were louder in cheering their favoured candidate followed by the Greens. All questions were taken at random by the Chair who does not know Ware or the people of Ware; the only person he has met before was the organiser who didn't ask a question. As far as I heard most questions were from undecided voters including from first time voters.

To me it sounds like a very poor excuse to say that he was knocking on doors when he had plenty of notice about the hustings. The hall had to be booked and people had made a commitment to turn up at a public meeting to hear what others' views were especially those standing for election. Had he booked appointments with the people of Sawbridgeworth at their houses or could it have been done at any other time during the long campaign?

To me, and others, it was just poor form and quite bad mannered.
Alexander Curtis

Post by Alexander Curtis »

There are only a small number of days during the formal election period. Yes, it would be nice if Mark could attend all of the events that people organise locally during the election period; but if he is to talk to as many people as possible from across the constituency, he has to make sure that he spends as much time on the doorstep as possible. Mark has been campaigning pretty much every day during this campaign, and has been to Ware 4 times so far during the formal election period to canvass and meet voters. To the best of my knowledge, that is more than any other candidate has done. In regard to the hustings, even if the chairman didn't know that the people asking the questions were Labour council candidates; the majority were, including a Hertford incumbent. No party should be allowed to plant many activists into the audience at hustings to intimidate and belittle the opposition, therefore it would be good if steps were taken in future to ensure that such an takeover doesn't occur again.

In Ware, the Conservatives have been delivering multiple pieces of literature to every home. I am particularly proud that we are the only party who have clearly outlined what we would like to do if we win a majority on WTC. It is crucially important though that the people of Ware have a real opportunity to feed into our plan for the town though, which is why we intend to actively seek out the opinions of local people through platforms including Ware Online in order to create a better Ware for everyone if elected.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Alexander Curtis wrote:There are only a small number of days during the formal election period. Yes, it would be nice if Mark could attend all of the events that people organise locally during the election period; but if he is to talk to as many people as possible from across the constituency, he has to make sure that he spends as much time on the doorstep as possible. Mark has been campaigning pretty much every day during this campaign, and has been to Ware 4 times so far during the formal election period to canvass and meet voters. To the best of my knowledge, that is more than any other candidate has done. In regard to the hustings, even if the chairman didn't know that the people asking the questions were Labour council candidates; the majority were, including a Hertford incumbent. No party should be allowed to plant many activists into the audience at hustings to intimidate and belittle the opposition, therefore it would be good if steps were taken in future to ensure that such an takeover doesn't occur again.

In Ware, the Conservatives have been delivering multiple pieces of literature to every home. I am particularly proud that we are the only party who have clearly outlined what we would like to do if we win a majority on WTC. It is crucially important though that the people of Ware have a real opportunity to feed into our plan for the town though, which is why we intend to actively seek out the opinions of local people through platforms including Ware Online in order to create a better Ware for everyone if elected.
let me say it again: THERE WAS NO TAKEOVER. There were questions from all different political persuasions including undecided voters. No one was intimidated or belittled. Mark Prisk should have had the decency to turn up.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Alexander Curtis wrote:............... It is crucially important though that the people of Ware have a real opportunity to feed into our plan for the town though, which is why we intend to actively seek out the opinions of local people through platforms including Ware Online in order to create a better Ware for everyone if elected.
and yet, it has to be said, WTC have, on several occasions during the current Council, failed to ensure that residents were told of the Town Meeting which is the one time that they can feed back. The TLA was also changed so as to severely limit input from the various groups.

When I first moved here 30 years ago I soon got to know all my Councillors by sight and to speak to. I would frequently meet them at various events and in the street. That changed when the current Conservative monopoly began to the extent that I had never met the previous or current lot and probably wouldn't recognise them if I did. Maybe that's partly my fault, I am certainly not involved as much as I was.

Whatever party you represent a situation where voters are offered little or no choice cannot be good.

(as a ps, the Labour candidate came round last night - a first - no Parliamentary Candidate has ever called on me before)
JoG

Post by JoG »

I attended the hustings as an undecided voter. I thought it was an excellent event. I didn't put my hand up to ask a question, but someone I sat with did. It wasn't organised before hand, he wasn't a plant, he just stuck his hand up and got selected. All panel members had an opportunity to answer all questions. If there was any bias it was because the person who could have added the Conservative perspective wasn't there to do so.