Town Council Elections

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
The Masked Woler

Town Council Elections

Post by The Masked Woler »

I see the nominations are in, Chadwell won't be getting an election at all - no candidates save for the Blues
mb1

Re: Town Council Elections

Post by mb1 »

Some oaf from UKIP put some of their disgusting racist nonsense through my door last night. unfortunately I was too slow to catch him and make him take it back. Instead I'm going to post it to their constituency office without a stamp on the envelope and hope to waste some of their funds.
The Masked Woler

mb1 wrote:Some oaf from UKIP put some of their disgusting racist nonsense through my door last night. unfortunately I was too slow to catch him and make him take it back. Instead I'm going to post it to their constituency office without a stamp on the envelope and hope to waste some of their funds.
I see that the UKIP EHDC candidate for my ward lives in Bishops Stortford, in fact many seem not to live where they are running, I raised it at the last election but UKIP don't see this as a problem (unfortunately I do)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I agree with you Masked Woler. I think Town Council candidates should live in the town where they are standing, otherwise it's a mockery of democracy. You can't stand for Parliament if you're living in France, why be able to stand for Ware Town Council with no affiliation with the town.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Nigel wants to know when he can collect his leaflet MB1 !!!!! :twisted:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Sorry whereaami, had my fun, it's off to the Sotrortfod office in the post with no stamp on.
IGS

Post by IGS »

mb1 wrote:I agree with you Masked Woler. I think Town Council candidates should live in the town where they are standing, otherwise it's a mockery of democracy. You can't stand for Parliament if you're living in France, why be able to stand for Ware Town Council with no affiliation with the town.
He's standing in the District Council election and, unfortunately, lives in the district so it is perfectly legitimate.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It may be legal, but not legitimate. If you live in another town you can't represent this one.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

The Masked Woler

At least we are guaranteed one non Conservative on the council.

Why do people run for wards other than those they live in - how can you represent the best interests of your electors? Surely when it comes to issues like planning you are biased and will just want to keep development away from your home.

(has anyone managed to find a ward map?)

I had to smile at this on the UKIP website "We believe that government at local, national and european level has become too remote from the people." so they put up someone from Bishops Stortford to represent Ware Trinity.