Dean's Ablaze

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Whereaami

Re: Dean's Ablaze

Post by Whereaami »

Afraid, despite how the land is designated, money talks, and far more ££££ for property development, than rental income of retail units,

Most of the new properties built in Ware are out of the reach of local people, especially the youngsters.
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Totally agree with JCB and Whereami. I would have no issue with flats being built if local first-time buyers (our children) could afford them. Reality is that property prices relative to income is about twice what it was when I bought my first tiny one-bed flat on the Vicarage estate for £10,650 back in the late '70s. As a skilled manual worker (nothing special) I was able to get a 100% mortgage based on my salary plus the average of 50% of overtime earnings. As those flats are now fetching £180K then to put that into perspective you would need to be earning around £60k p.a. to do the same now. So who will buy the new flats if they are built? Presumably big earners who work in London, which just adds fuel to the fire (no pun intended considering how this thread started).
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I don't have problems with flats in general. It just feels like it's sticking a plaster on a massive problem. First timers need cheaper houses where they can have families not pokey flats. I wonder how my kids will afford to be local to Ware rather than somewhere cheaper like Stevenage or Harlow but even these places are expensive. I notice the housing market has slowed markedly in Ware. I hope it stays subdued for another ten years rather than a crash to bring the prices back to a reasonable level.
Simes

Post by Simes »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-41345589

Fire Brigade have concluded the fire was caused by an electrical fault. Demolition now scheduled to start next week. Star Street will remain closed for another 2-3 weeks until demolition is complete.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

As has been said, none of the flats being built are aimed at our kids (unless they have well paid jobs in the city).
Mine certainly couldn't afford to live round here, one has gone and the other is likely to follow.
But then I couldn't afford to live near my parents.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Well if the site is to be redeveloped as flats rather than an employment opportunity, then lets all insist that as it is public land we own, that the flats are all for social housing not private sale and profit.
Alec

Post by Alec »

All credit to the brain dead who don't think it's a problem to park in Kibes Lane in the suspended parking bays. Can they not spot the gridlock they create?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Scottman wrote:Well if the site is to be redeveloped as flats rather than an employment opportunity, then lets all insist that as it is public land we own, that the flats are all for social housing not private sale and profit.
It is not "public land" in that sense. I believe it's owned by Herts County Council. That doesn't mean that it's owned by every person who lives in Hertfordshire. All land is privately owned.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Steve wrote:
Scottman wrote:Well if the site is to be redeveloped as flats rather than an employment opportunity, then lets all insist that as it is public land we own, that the flats are all for social housing not private sale and profit.
It is not "public land" in that sense. I believe it's owned by Herts County Council. That doesn't mean that it's owned by every person who lives in Hertfordshire. All land is privately owned.
Steve that is exactly what it DOES mean - it is owned by the organisation voted in by the council tax payers of Hertfordshire. It is public land and it is high time that we start using public land for public building and housing. There have been too many instances where our community assets have been sold for profit and result in lack of social provision.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Star Street has finally reopened.