Summer sky

For comments about airport expansion, aircraft movements and noise.
Alec

Re: Summer sky

Post by Alec »

Matt40 wrote:Does anyone know the reason for lots of Chinooks passing over today?
Only saw one, but always a great view - was right overhead and nice & low!

No idea why, of course...
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Now that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight has been joined by a second Lancaster for the summer, does anyone know if we might see them around here? There's nothing programmed locally but might we see them travelling between scheduled flypasts? I don't usually pick up on sightings until it's too late!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Alec wrote:
Matt40 wrote:Does anyone know the reason for lots of Chinooks passing over today?
Only saw one, but always a great view - was right overhead and nice & low!

No idea why, of course...
With the press stating that Chinooks maybe used in the Iraq food aid program they could have been on their way to Brize Norton for transportation as its too far for them to fly. But! It may also be something completely different, commence Monty Python music.
treacleminer

Post by treacleminer »

Stephen wrote:Now that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight has been joined by a second Lancaster for the summer, does anyone know if we might see them around here? There's nothing programmed locally but might we see them travelling between scheduled flypasts? I don't usually pick up on sightings until it's too late!
They are due at several flypasts in Kent then an appearance at Old Warden Beds, on Sat 16th so a fair chance of an over fly I would think!
Dirigible

Post by Dirigible »

Both Lancasters, Hurricane and Spitfire overflew Ware on Thursday afternoon transiting to Biggin Hill.

Saturday 16th the Lancaster pair are scheduled to depart Biggin Hill @ 18:35 to flypast at Old Warden @ 19:00, arriving back at Biggin Hill @ 19:30.

Sunday 17th the Lancaster pair, Hurricane and Spitfire are scheduled to depart Southend @ 16:20 to flypast at Woburn Abbey @ 16:40.

Hopefully the routes will be in our favour.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Silly question, where's Old Warden?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Old warden is otherwise known as the shuttle worth collection .it near biggleswade
Alec

Post by Alec »

Good call - just fleetingly spotted over the northern reaches of Ware. Hoping for a repeat in 20-30 mins!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Old Warden is worth a visit besides the aircraft museum the have flying days including a flying Proms which I attended several times and finishes with an excellent firework display, all to music of course.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Thanks for the info guys. I never knew that existed, always good info with two young boys and will make a change to duxford. I'm going to sort out a visit imminently :D