Oyster IS coming

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
Steve

Oyster IS coming

Post by Steve »

Oyster is coming in September according to local rail staff. Posters to go up shortly.
New Boy

Re: Oyster IS coming

Post by New Boy »

You seem excited? But:
a) that will make it slower to get in/out of the station;
b) i don't care whether i have a paper ticket or a chip in my brain. I want more regular, cleaner and punctual trains from Greater Anglia shambles.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Be interesting to see if there is a price benefit in using Oyster. It should make it quicker to get in to the station for those of us making occasional journeys - I always seem to end up in a logjam at the ticket machine.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

The problem is that oyster is run by tfl, whilst the trains are provided by abelio greater anglia. I do not have the dubious pleasure of having to use the service every, so I can only see the hold ups via the website. The other problem is that thanks to a previous government the track and signals are owned by network rail, which will soon make three organisations to deal with when things go wrong.
Little men in hi-vis jackets and hard hats seem to be installing the oyster readers today. Wheather the readers will make any difference to the passenger flow, we will have to wait and see.
Also, I. Notice today, advanced warning that there will be no Victoria line service at Tottenham Hale throughout August. Trains will terminate at Seven Sisters. That sounds fun !
Once again, I am not a regular user, so if my understanding of the problems is leaves something to be desired, please do not shoot me down in flames. Ta !
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

So I just had a fascinating conversation with Greater Anglia on their customer support line.

I asked if I would be able to change my paper season ticket (currently London and all tube zones) to an oyster card because the paper ticket stops working on the tube barriers every week and needs to be replaced constantly.

He amazingly told me that I couldn't as the oyster cards are for pay as you go customers only and not season ticket holders.

I then asked him how I would get in an out of the station when the barriers are not manned in the evening and the paper ticket isn't working and he said that the barriers will be opened when the staff go home!!!

I thought things were about to get better...but it doesn't look like it!!!
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

The tfl website states :-

On Oyster, you can buy 7 Day, Monthly, odd period or Annual Travelcards for travel across Zones 1-9 and Watford Junction, Broxbourne and Shenfield. If you lose your Oyster card with a Travelcard on it, we can stop it, send you a replacement or arrange a transfer to a new Oyster card.

Does this help ?
QMouse

Post by QMouse »

Is Oyster up and running yet?
IGS

Post by IGS »

QMouse wrote:Is Oyster up and running yet?
I was told by a member of staff that it should be working by Monday (19th).
naga

Post by naga »

According to tfl, it should be up and running.
Interesting price structure: Ware to Waltham Cross = £1.60 Single Off-Peak (Bargain)
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/f ... are-finder
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

I've not checked that Oyster is valid at Ware yet, but if (when) it is, you need to have read this article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/expe ... lcard.html

The main point is that you can also use contactless payment cards instead of Oyster Cards, and you'll always get the cheapest fare available. Plus the amount you pay each day is capped at the cost of a daily travel card, and the amount you pay each week is capped at the cost of a weekly travel card. Oyster can be cheaper under certain circumstances though. Read the article.

It states you should NEVER buy paper tickets any more, as they are not cost effective. Use Contactless instead.

FB