Oyster IS coming

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
Steve

Re: Oyster IS coming

Post by Steve »

FurtiveBertie wrote:I've not checked that Oyster is valid at Ware yet
FB
Oyster's working at Hertford East so presumably it's working at Ware too.
Steve

Post by Steve »

FurtiveBertie wrote:I've not checked that Oyster is valid at Ware yet, but if (when) it is, you need to have read this article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/expe ... lcard.html

The main point is that you can also use contactless payment cards instead of Oyster Cards, and you'll always get the cheapest fare available. Plus the amount you pay each day is capped at the cost of a daily travel card, and the amount you pay each week is capped at the cost of a weekly travel card. Oyster can be cheaper under certain circumstances though. Read the article.

It states you should NEVER buy paper tickets any more, as they are not cost effective. Use Contactless instead.

FB
Which begs the question - what happens when you get stopped by the on-train ticket inspectors?
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

One exception to this that may not be widely known - if you have a child between 16 and 18, it is well worth applying for a 16+ Oyster card - this will give them child fare rates - whereas the contactless card will only allow adult rates.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Steve wrote:
FurtiveBertie wrote:I've not checked that Oyster is valid at Ware yet, but if (when) it is, you need to have read this article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/expe ... lcard.html

The main point is that you can also use contactless payment cards instead of Oyster Cards, and you'll always get the cheapest fare available. Plus the amount you pay each day is capped at the cost of a daily travel card, and the amount you pay each week is capped at the cost of a weekly travel card. Oyster can be cheaper under certain circumstances though. Read the article.

It states you should NEVER buy paper tickets any more, as they are not cost effective. Use Contactless instead.

FB
Which begs the question - what happens when you get stopped by the on-train ticket inspectors?
I don't know about contactless cards but Oysters can be checked for last tap in by the inspectors, had mine checked a few times.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Steve wrote:Which begs the question - what happens when you get stopped by the on-train ticket inspectors?
They carry Oyster card validators, I believe. And so can check that you've got a card and have tapped in (not sure how this works for contactless credit/debit cards, though)

Another wrinkle to this is the inability to use a railcard. A few years back I got my network railcard "loaded" onto my Oyster card, which gave me discounts on some fares from Broxbourne (off peak to Stratford was a steal, I remember). However, my wife never managed to do it. The Broxbourne ticket office couldn't, telling us we had to do it at an Underground station. While the first one I tried did mine, we tried a few for hers and they all claimed they couldn't.

Still wish I understood all this...
onmyplanet

Post by onmyplanet »

Oyster is working at Ware now, used it yesterday and i think that it's slightly cheaper (50p) than the cost of the paper return ticket. That's what the booking office assistant told me - must check for myself though

I say 'working' in the vaguest sense of the word as one of the machines is faulty already.
Mel

Post by Mel »

What I would like to know is how Oyster works with the disabled railcard and other railcards come to that.
naga

Post by naga »

Looks like you can just 'add' your Discount Cards to your Oyster Card (might have to give that a try)
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You can buy Travelcards on an Oyster card.
On Oyster, you can buy 7 Day, Monthly, odd period or Annual Travelcards for travel across Zones 1-9 and Watford Junction, Broxbourne, Hertford East, Ware, St Margarets, Rye House and Shenfield. If you lose your Oyster card with a Travelcard on it, we can stop it, send you a replacement or arrange a transfer to a new Oyster card.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/t ... /on-oyster

I was wondering aboput off-peak capping for zones 1 - 9. Apparently this is anytime after 09:30 on Monday to Fridays. I presume this means that I can travel back between 16:00 and 19:00 (the p.m. peak times) and still be subject to the off-peak cap.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/o ... ce-capping

In the past the first train you could get from Ware to get off peak fares is 09:13. Is this still the case or is the 09:43 train the first you can get off peak fares?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thanks Naga, worth looking at. With a disabled railcard a second person can travel with me at the same price, after a quick look at the website it would appear I won't get that second discount but I will look into it a bit more.