Asda archaeology

Questions and discussions about the town's past
craig

Asda archaeology

Post by craig »

Given Ware's history as being one of the oldest continuously occupied sites in Europe, and *Cintels proximity to previous archaeological finds on the Glaxo site, what archaeology exploration is taking palce on the site?

(*Cintel is the site now being developed to build the new Asda)
The Masked Woler

Re: Asda archaeology

Post by The Masked Woler »

From the planning permission - "No groundworks or development shall take place within the proposed development site until the applicant or their agents, or their successors in title, has secured the implementation of a programme of archaeological work in accordance with a written scheme of investigation which has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. This condition will only be considered to be discharged when the planning authority has received and approved an archaeological report and/or publication report of all the required archaeological works. Reason To secure the protection of and proper provision for any archaeological remains in accordance with policies BH2 and BH3 of the East Herts Local Plan Second Review April 2007."

Doesn't really answer your question though.

given what was there before I wonder if there would be anything left.
Mel

Post by Mel »

going past just seems to be piles of rubble
mb1

Post by mb1 »

They won't have got to that stage yet. Generally a company like ASDA will contract with an archaeology company/service to assess a site and then to monitor it as digging happens. Any finds at all will require some rescue archaeology being done. I'll try and find out who ASDA have signed up.
John_D

Post by John_D »

Very interesting, would expect some Roman finds to turn up, not sure if the Saxon area, which was centred on Baldock Street, extended that far north/west. :geek: I do know that when the gas pipeline, just to the south of Ware Lock, was put in about 20 years ago, quite a lot of Roman coins turned up in the spoil heaps, though there was no formal archaeological presence that I know of.
From the 1880 O.S. map it looks like the 'interesting' area is just west of the Cintel site. (possible medieval moated site?)

edit :- The site seems to have truncated the image, to see the full area of the Cintel site 'right click' on the image and then left click on 'view image'
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I've sent them a request for information. Normal practice would be to do a paper survey to see where there is likely to be archaeology and then to have the building company inform their consultant any time they come across anything. ASDA seem to have a good reputation for this kind of thing, working with big names like Wessex Archaeology. Thanks for posting the detailed map, that's interesting.
John_D

Post by John_D »

The 1880 O/S map was the earliest large scale map I could find of the site, however things hadn't changed a great deal when this 1923 map was published. :geek:
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

This is very interesting please keep the updates coming.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

There might be one or two of us interested and willing to assist with any dig or archaeological survey at the right time ....
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That's a good thought Scottman, I would like that too.