Certificates of good work

Comment on policing and law & order issues
Wareite1969

Certificates of good work

Post by Wareite1969 »

Not sure how many forum members are also twitter users but I wondered what people's opinion is of this picture. These are being given out, and pictures posted, at a rate of seemingly 2 / 3 a week. 4 in last 2 days with one officer receiving 2 at once. Some are given to members of the public but in the main are given to serving officers.

Is this a useful exercise in improving morale ?

Is it an embarrassing / patronising attempt at good P R ?

Is it a waste of taxpayers money ?

Should they in fact read 'Well done for doing the job we pay you for' ?

I've seen all of these sentiments expressed and can't decide which side I come down on. If I'm honest they seem a little sad & patronising (especially the wording). Surely giving them out so regularly diminishes any effect they may have ?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.65 KiB) Viewed 16928 times
darkmark

Re: Certificates of good work

Post by darkmark »

This is an example of the police using an idea already used in the corporate world.

When i used to work for the large supermarket chain a lot of people dislike which is based in cheshunt, they introduced a scheme back in the late 90's called values awards. These are pretty much the same as this, nominated by bosses and were mostly given out for doing your job the way you were meant to.

Obviously they appealed to a certain sector of the workforce who liked to collect accolades, but most people saw (and still see) them as patronising and pointless unless they are genuinely given in recognition of doing something over and above what would be expected of an employee.

I can't comment on how the police are using these as I've not seen the award criteria, but if they are used sparingly, and as a real tool for recognition, they could be good for morale. If, however, they are given for turning up on time and answering questions (genuinely given to someone on a help desk!) then it makes a mockery of them and people will see them as pointless.

:-)
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

darkmark wrote:This is an example of the police using an idea already used in the corporate world.

When i used to work for the large supermarket chain a lot of people dislike which is based in cheshunt, they introduced a scheme back in the late 90's called values awards. These are pretty much the same as this, nominated by bosses and were mostly given out for doing your job the way you were meant to.

Obviously they appealed to a certain sector of the workforce who liked to collect accolades, but most people saw (and still see) them as patronising and pointless unless they are genuinely given in recognition of doing something over and above what would be expected of an employee.

I can't comment on how the police are using these as I've not seen the award criteria, but if they are used sparingly, and as a real tool for recognition, they could be good for morale. If, however, they are given for turning up on time and answering questions (genuinely given to someone on a help desk!) then it makes a mockery of them and people will see them as pointless.

:-)
Just an example - One was given for proactively stopping a van which resulted in an arrest for theft of fuel. Surely that should be expected ?

I agree that it is also a sign of a trend whereby people expect, at the least, a pat on the back and in some cases a financial reward for simply doing the job. If there are elements of over and above then either may well be merited.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Motivation, innit
Ian

Post by Ian »

I suspect this is trying to combine a two ideas into a single initiative. You'd need to ask the recipients their view to see if it really works or not, but I can't see the harm personally though other way might be more productive. On one level, it may well be a useful way of informing the public about what Policing is like on a day to day basis, a bit like "a day in the life" or a blog. On another level it's just a "thank you" to the staff/members of the public, the sort of thing that (arguably) "the boss" should regularly be doing.

I can't see the harm personally.
Mel

Post by Mel »

The police who helped that lady in Puckeridge who got flooded should get a certificate - according to the Mercury story anyway.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Provided they get one saying "Certificate of Bad Work" occasionally, like those involved in "Plebgate", then it must be a good thing. I have a feeling though that they probably just have to spend an hour on the naughty step. :roll: