Radio 4 Programme on the Lea Valley

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
mb1

Radio 4 Programme on the Lea Valley

Post by mb1 »

Thought some people might be interested to listen to this. It doesn't mention Ware, but it is local. They get the origin of the river wrong, saying it starts in Hertfordshire, not Bedfordshire, but it's a good listen anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvbpf
Alec

Re: Radio 4 Programme on the Lea Valley

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:They get the origin of the river wrong, saying it starts in Hertfordshire, not Bedfordshire, but it's a good listen anyway.
"The answer can be found in the Lee [sic] Valley, a green and watery wedge that grows and flows from Hertfordshire and Essex through northeast London to The River Thames"

Actually, I think they're right. The Lea *Valley*, as opposed to the river, is pretty much the bit downstream from us, isn't it?
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

I was given to understand that the origin of the river lee started at Lea(e)grave in Luton. Could well be wrong though.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I thought the bit from Hertford to the Thames was the Lea Navigation?
Alec

Post by Alec »

All correct:

The River Lea starts from Luton and flows into the Thames.

The River Lea Navigation is the part of the River Lea from Hertford to the Thames, which has been improved for boats.

The man-made New River starts from Chadwell Springs and takes drinking water into London. It goes to Stoke Newington.

The Lee Valley (turns out that is the correct spelling!) is the area running from Ware down to London around the river.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Alec wrote:The Lee Valley (turns out that is the correct spelling!) is the area running from Ware down to London around the river.
My understanding is that the Lee Valley runs from Hertford to London, as opposed to the Lee Valley Regional Park, which runs from just south east of Ware to London.