Ware to lose the nearest 24hr supermarket

News and views on shopping in the town.
John_D

Ware to lose the nearest 24hr supermarket

Post by John_D »

As I understand it, Tesco in Hertford is dropping it's 24 opening hours this month and changing to closing at midnight and re-opening at 6am...........
Alec

Re: Ware to lose the nearest 24hr supermarket

Post by Alec »

Yes, anounced here amongst other places back in Jan, including a link to the list of closures, albeit rather annoyingly randomly ordered.

Quite a few of the "nearby" stores to Ware are ceasing 24 hour opening, including: Hertford, Harlow (Church Langley), Bishops Stortford, Royston.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

No bad thing. Can't say I've ever seen the logic of longer opening. Folks only have so much to spend so the spend is spread over a longer time. Just means we expect people to work nights and weekends just for convenience.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pat-H wrote:No bad thing. Can't say I've ever seen the logic of longer opening. Folks only have so much to spend so the spend is spread over a longer time. Just means we expect people to work nights and weekends just for convenience.
Supermarkets are staffed around the clock regardless so it makes no difference.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I've never used used the Hertford store in the middle of the night. Has anyone else? Can't say it bothers me at all.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:I've never used used the Hertford store in the middle of the night. Has anyone else? Can't say it bothers me at all.
I pop in from time to time around midnight if I'm on my way home. There are normully a handful of others in there too.

Not the end of the world when it stops, mind
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Steve wrote:
Pat-H wrote:No bad thing. Can't say I've ever seen the logic of longer opening. Folks only have so much to spend so the spend is spread over a longer time. Just means we expect people to work nights and weekends just for convenience.
I think it does make a difference. The staff there are shelf stacking. They don't need security or checkout staff plus the trolley collectors etc.
That's at least some staff who can have normal working hours and have normal lives.
We don't have to make people work nights and sleep during the day (and nowadays not even pay extra for that) just to be a bit more convenient.
We could recognise that people have the right to sleep at night and work during the day like the majority of us do.
Family life and community life are impacted by treating people like machines.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pat-H wrote:I think it does make a difference. The staff there are shelf stacking. They don't need security or checkout staff plus the trolley collectors etc.
I've never seen a checkout open after midnight - only the self service lanes. I've never seen anyone doing a big shop either so no need for trolley collectors.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Pat-H wrote:
Steve wrote:

We could recognise that people have the right to sleep at night and work during the day like the majority of us do.
The minority of night workers is greater than you think and I appreciate what they do after 30 years of shift work in the UK and NZ. If you start a list - nurses, doctors, police, firemen, air traffic controllers, transport workers, maintenance crews, port workers, coastguard, armed forces, manufacturing and the list is quite endless so when you rest your head to sleep give the supermarket staff along with all the others who work through the night a thought.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

They're phasing this kind of shopping out as they lose money on it. just as they're reducing the number of supermarket sites around the country. Delivery shopping grows in popularity exponentially t the moment, it's destroying store footfall. The number of supermarket sites will continue to shrink. The peak was a couple of years ago. The only exception is the downmarket Aldi/Lidl types and there are huge question marks over their business model long term.