Returning to Ware

News and views on shopping in the town.
Aardvaark

Re: Returning to Ware

Post by Aardvaark »

Last I heard Waitrose had withdrawn their planning application for Van Hages because some residents up there got our MP to ask for a Judicial Review - and no-one can afford that. The old Cinema/then shopping arcade/then nightclub was subject to a planning application to turn it into flats - but I'm not sure what has happened since then. Yes the reduced hours at the tip are a nuisance and a traffic bottleneck at times. As somebody involved with the local Freegle group, we did ask the Council to maybe advertise use of Freegle, Freecycle and other such groups or indeed remind people that usable items (usually non-electric) could be taken to a local charity shop, rather than put it into landfill. This was rejected. We can only suppose it's because the people running the contract can salvage some stuff and sell it and this is part of their contract to run the refuse disposal sites.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Aardvaark wrote:Last I heard Waitrose had withdrawn their planning application for Van Hages because some residents up there got our MP to ask for a Judicial Review - and no-one can afford that.
The judicial review was threatened by Asda following advice from their lawyers that the planning approval granted a year ago featured errors in law. It had nothing to do with residents or our MP. The District Council consulted their own lawyers and sent the plans back to the Development Management Committee. Before it could be discussed the plans were withdrawn by Waitrose/Van Hage.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

The parking permit scheme works and is policed by pesky traffic wardens as usual. Although I benefit from the scheme I was very conscious that i didnt want to a nimby and that it was just moving the problem to adjourning roads whereas I advocated a trial of cheaper town centre car parks to maximise revenue and oddly they continue to be less than fully occupied during the working week because the council make less than sensible decisions and maintained their ludicrous prices. I was told I hadn't considered the entire transport policy 'in the round' (Still rankles!).
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

The "pesky traffic wardens" are better than a private company enforcing it who remembers the spell where we had no traffic enforcement and people were parking anywhere all day? I for one thought that period was chaotic and was pleased to see them back, in a way anyhow! The car park fees still being a bugbear does not surprise me when they increased the charges for short term I thought it was a wrong move and detrimental to Ware businesses as many times I would want just ten minutes in the town but had to pay too much for half an hour, if they had a cheap ten minute fee they would benefit from more use of the town but also the fines for the overruns!

Just as a comparison the Parking Wardens here in NZ will place a chalk mark on a tyre so they know if you have been there for designated time in free time limited carparks. I was told by one when I returned just on expirery of my ticket in a pay carpark that "its OK we give you 20 minutes extra anyway" and I never heard that in the UK. In the town where I live parking is free thats under Tasman Council but if you shop in Nelson you have to pay everywhere although they have brought in a system where the first hour is free which has shown an increase in business turnover but you still need a ticket which is obviously free.

I'm surprised Steve that the council granted planning approval without it being checked for legal integrity is this an attempt at cost saving or a flaw in the system?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andy B wrote:The car park fees still being a bugbear does not surprise me when they increased the charges for short term I thought it was a wrong move and detrimental to Ware businesses as many times I would want just ten minutes in the town but had to pay too much for half an hour, if they had a cheap ten minute fee they would benefit from more use of the town but also the fines for the overruns!
You may have confused the comment about [residents] parking permits with car park fees. District Council car parks now offer the first 30 minutes free.

http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/warecarparks
Andy B wrote:I'm surprised Steve that the council granted planning approval without it being checked for legal integrity is this an attempt at cost saving or a flaw in the system?
The council's planning officers report strongly recommended rejecting the Waitrose/Van Hage planning application but the Development Management Committee chose to ignore their advice and granted planning permission. This resulted in Asda's threat of a judicial review because their lawyers said the committee had erred in law by ignoring the officer's report and reasons for recommending rejection. The fact that the plans were sent back to the Development Control Committee suggests that the council's legal advice was the same.
Last edited by Steve on Mon 23 May 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove erroneous apostrophe
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

30 minutes free in the car parks is good and the way to go I'm please common sense prevailed but its a shame the same does not apply to the council planning office if a recommendation is made then why its not followed is a mystery, they should at least have to give a reason for not following said advice. Its also a cost to the tax payer and when challenged on its legality the cost can only rise.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

What was the name of the restaurant and bar at the back of Tudor Square? It had been closed for awhile before I left has anything come of that?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andy B wrote:What was the name of the restaurant and bar at the back of Tudor Square? It had been closed for awhile before I left has anything come of that?
http://www.wareonline.co.uk/discussion/ ... f=34&t=797
craig

Post by craig »

Andy B wrote:What was the name of the restaurant and bar at the back of Tudor Square? It had been closed for awhile before I left has anything come of that?
Abs Bar.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Do you mean Dino's which was in Church Street? There are now town houses in its place.