Variation of a Scam

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Aardvaark

Variation of a Scam

Post by Aardvaark »

Just thought I'd warn people of a variation of the computer maintenance scam that we got yesterday. I received a phone call from "your ISP" saying a problem with your computer and internet connection. Now we had a few hours loss of service with VM the day before so I said thank you, it has now been repaired. No - that wasn't it - apparently I have been downloading illegal films and music. However as they don't want to prosecute a long-standing customer I can avoid this by just paying them a fine. I asked exactly who they were and he claimed to be from BT Internet. At that point I said a few choice words and put the phone down. It was probably just a coincidence that we received this call a day after loss of internet service because otherwise I would have put the phone down on him straight away, but maybe worth drawing to the attention of your friends and relations. I have reported it to the police Action Fraud line - the operator confirmed this was a new interesting variation of the usual theme - the next step would have been for them to request my bank details so the "fine" could be transferred.
Pat-H

Re: Variation of a Scam

Post by Pat-H »

If your ISP calls you then suspect a scam. ISP's have internet and email why call?
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

I know it's extremely unlikely - but we had no internet service and therefore no email - so after reporting a fault and it taking several hours to fix, it is possibly feasible that they might telephone to check everything was OK.
Steve

Post by Steve »

And of course ISPs don't prosecute people, The Crown Prosecution Service does. And copyright infringement is a civil offence, so you would be sued, not prosecuted ... and by the rights holder, not an ISP.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Oh yes, of course, silly me!! I wonder why I didn't immediately think of Copyright Law etc etc at the time. I guess I'm just glad that everyone on Ware Online is a legal eagle and that neither they, nor any friends, family, or neighbours have ever been caught out by a scam nor ever will be when they are tired after doing a 12 hour shift, distracted by screaming kids, or are sick or just plain confused.

You know I posted this originally just in an attempt to be helpful - I don't need the sarcy comments. I wonder why very few people bother to post on here any more ...... :?: Well I won't be in future any more either. Bye bye.
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

My ISP did contact me about 12 years ago as my internet connection was shown to be downloading illegal films. Turned out my Au Pair was unaware that it was illegal here. I suspect it was illegal in their country but maybe not enforced.

They contacted me and said that I was breaching their usage policy but as first offence then no action would be taken but if it continued they would cancel my contract.

I did speak to them on the phone but think it was following a letter from them (not an email). Cannot be sure as a long time ago. I would believe this scam if it happened to me until they asked for money but I can see how others could fall for this and end up paying.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Aardvaark wrote:I know it's extremely unlikely - but we had no internet service and therefore no email - so after reporting a fault and it taking several hours to fix, it is possibly feasible that they might telephone to check everything was OK.
And if anyone does call you then of course you take them through security.
They should know you date of birth Account number etc and finally ask for a number you can ring them back on. Then check that number in google and see if it matches up.
They won't speak to you until you can confirm who you are (despite having called you) so it makes sense to do the same in reverse.
Itsme

Post by Itsme »

Aardvaark wrote:
You know I posted this originally just in an attempt to be helpful - I don't need the sarcy comments. I wonder why very few people bother to post on here any more ...... :?: Well I won't be in future any more either. Bye bye.
Well I found this information helpful and have passed it on to other family members that may unwittingly fall for this scam.
Last edited by Itsme on Thu 09 Jun 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the update, I hadn't heard of that one either. Like you, I wouldn't have been taken in, but clearly some are or they wouldn't try it on.

As for phone calls from my ISP, I regularly get sales calls from both my ISP and mail service provider. I have also had calls from VM updating me on service failures to check all is now OK so such a call would not be at all abnormal.

Asking your provider to answer some security questions is a good idea and one that I always do should my bank call me, even if they are returning a call. The only problem is that to call them back will often involve having to call an 0845 number, whick on VM costs and on mobiles can be very expensive :(
Mel

Post by Mel »

Aardvark I for one am very glad you posted, it is something that we should all be aware of and I was able to warn family members and friends. We've had service problems with VM for a while now so maybe wouldn't have been surprised to get a call although we would have about downloading films as we don't do that. Don't leave the forum!