Whats Happening?

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Barzey

Whats Happening?

Post by Barzey »

Hello folks, I am wondering what is happening with the forum lately because on the Home page its still referring to items way back in October 2016 and before. The Webcam hasn't worked for ages now and the item I put in about it hasn't thrown up any clues as to what is going on? :?:
craig

Re: Whats Happening?

Post by craig »

Hi Barzey
The forum still ticks over, but there has been a huge transfer of members to Facebook.
I’m not even sure how many people post regularly these days.

The webcam was always suppplied by Herts Display, but it went down months ago and they haven’t fixed it. I guess it was a nice to have, but it doesn’t bring them extra customers so it’s low on their priorities to fix.

The front page local news items stopped being updated last December.
The fact it’s taken 11 months for anyone to notice and ask about it highlights how little it was read and used. It took a lot of time and effort keeping it updated.

Ware Online has always been a home spun, spare time project. It was one of the first community websites to be setup and run by and for the community.

It’s been online for 17 years and has served the community well, but I fear it may have past it’s best.

If there is still an audience for Ware Online, i’ll need a virtual show of hands to see who is still here.
If Ware Online is to continue, I’ll certainly give it some thought about how I can reboot the site.
Spring Viewer

Post by Spring Viewer »

I still use Ware Online, I too have noticed a lot of out of date notices/events as well. I asked a friend 6 months ago and they told me a lot of the site/discussions have moved to Facebook. I don't use Facebook and hence this Ware forum site is useful for me but only if others use it too and info is up to date.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I do not use Facebook as I do not wish to broadcast my status or what I am eating etc globally so would have to abandon altogether if the forum were to close. I still check regularly this forum to find out what it going on or any potential issues and I suspect quite a few more do too. Personally I should prefer to use this forum as I will not use Facebook.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

I still check on WareOnline as I just don't do 'social media'.

In spite of so many media outlets now, I actually find it very hard to find localish news and to find out about events to go to, maybe its my a g e :?
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Thanks Craig for that information on the website. :o Yes it was a great asset to a lot of people in and around Ware whom I am sure will miss it like myself. Like so many others I do not and will not use "Faceache" for reasons already posted on this item. I realise its the 'fashion' for most people but I have seen the twaddle that some people seem to write and fall out with each other on there and its certainly not for us.

I hope that other people pick up on the possible loss of 'WOL' and will let everyone know on here. But may I take this opportunity of extending a great big thanks to you and others whom have done such a terrific job over the years for us all. Most of all it would be great to get a large response for its continuance.

Kindest regards to all
Barzey
Martin

Post by Martin »

It's been apparent for a long time that Wareonline has become a less and less popular way of finding out what is going on in Ware, but I still check-in most days. :(
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I check WOL regularly and post every now and then. No fan of FB.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I still catchup on WareOnline every so often - about once a week now. I'd be sad to see it go and I'd be happy to help out posting news items and the like, but I can see your point of view as it is not a free service to provide and you have to pay for it.
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

I still check in about once a week also to see if anything is going on.

It's always fun to see a new posting from the usual crew of the Ware communist liberation front or bizarre rambling from IGS.

Would be a shame to see it go as the forum has always made me laugh at how serious some people take themselves.