Ware Town Council

Committees, the mayor and local authority issues
Byronsnr

Ware Town Council

Post by Byronsnr »

Ware Town Councillors are due for election around 20 Feb;14 ( source East Herts ), perhaps it is now time for our Townsfolk to consider following Letchworth Garden Cities example and abolish WTCouncil in favour of the real decision makers over our town, namely East Herts Council. There are now major changes afoot for Ware where we now need direct access and influence over EHC and are not inhibited by a costly duplication such as WTC.
Steve

Re: Ware Town Council

Post by Steve »

Byronsnr wrote:Ware Town Councillors are due for election around 20 Feb;14 ( source East Herts ), perhaps it is now time for our Townsfolk to consider following Letchworth Garden Cities example and abolish WTCouncil in favour of the real decision makers over our town, namely East Herts Council. There are now major changes afoot for Ware where we now need direct access and influence over EHC and are not inhibited by a costly duplication such as WTC.
This is incorrect. There is a by-election on 20th February for George Powell's vacant seat on the council.

The next Town Council elections are in May 2015.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Town Council and District Council elections are due on the first Thursday of May next year.
Byronsnr

Post by Byronsnr »

The option by Ware Townsfolk to Abolish Ware Town Council exactly as the precedent set by Letchworth for the reasons detailed in my first post, are totally unaffected by the incorrect information I was given ref; our Town Council Election dates.
Byronsnr

Post by Byronsnr »

The option by Ware Townsfolk to Abolish Ware Town Council exactly as the precedent set by Letchworth for the reasons detailed in my first post, are totally unaffected by the incorrect information I was given ref; our Town Council Election dates.
Byronsnr

Post by Byronsnr »

Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

While this may be an option on the face of it, the situation is very different.

Letchworth is a 'relatively' new town when compared to ours with considerably less local heritage. It only had a local parish council created in 2005 after 31 years of no local governance after the abolition of all Urban District Councils. This was not established well and appears to have had a large number of blurred lines of responsibility (maybe partly due to NHDC not wanting to hand powers over) as well as high admin costs (in part to establish itself) such as a new Mayoral Chain of Office and a new Coat of Arms. All this led to a lot of local dissatisfaction with a return to the previous arrangement petitioned. We have none of this history with EHDC.

I agree we need to make sure our voices are heard over the major issues, however, do you really think EHDC will be interested in organising Ware Festival, Dickensian Evening or supporting the many things that happen at a very local level.

Interesting debate to be had but the phrase 'Throwing the baby out with the bath water' springs to mind
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Were it an option I would much rather opt out of EHDC. From parking policy to their attitude to development they make it clear time and again that they have nothing but contempt for Ware. Our representatives on EHDC are bound into a large Tory majority that simply never considers what is good for Ware. The Town Council isn;t the most vibrant body on the planet, but its members care about the town. Without really local representation we would lose Ware Carnival, the Lido and much else that is good about Ware.
IGS

Post by IGS »

I can't see any reason to abolish our local voice where all the reps either live or work in the town. You may not agree with their politics (I certainly don't) but they do care for and stick up for the town. As has been stated above there are many things we would lose without the Town Council. If it hadn't been for some Town Councillors and Ware residents the Drill Hall would have been lost as EHDC tried to get rid of it a few years back. What would happen to the Priory and its staff if we abolished the Town Council?

I believe that Ware residents would have less, not more, of a say in its own affairs without the Town Council. We need more autonomy not less.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

mb1 wrote:Were it an option I would much rather opt out of EHDC. From parking policy to their attitude to development they make it clear time and again that they have nothing but contempt for Ware. Our representatives on EHDC are bound into a large Tory majority that simply never considers what is good for Ware. The Town Council isn;t the most vibrant body on the planet, but its members care about the town. Without really local representation we would lose Ware Carnival, the Lido and much else that is good about Ware.
Exactly - I would be interested to hear how abolishing WTC would give more access and influence over EHDC (you forgot losing the last public toilet in Ware).

It is of note when considering the attitude of EHDC to the town that the latest important publication regarding the future of Ware is illustrated by a photo of Hertford.