European Elections

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Mel

Re: European Elections

Post by Mel »

BNP on the voting form for the first time or did I miss something in the past?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I am not sure if they have been on the European election ballot paper, but they have been on the Ware North ballot papers for a recent County (?) Council election. A candidate was also going to stand in Ware South but withdrew.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Can someone explain to me what the europe elections are about? I get the national and the local 'gig'..
mb1

Post by mb1 »

We elect 79 members of the European Parliament. There are about 700 altogether. When the European Commission proposes legislation, MEPs have to vote it through. They also hold hearings and approve ir reject the appointment of European Commissioners in the first place. Together with the Council of Ministers, where national governments of EU member states sit, the EP represents democratic scrutiny of what is done in Brussels.
Mel

Post by Mel »

democratic scrutiny? Pull the other leg!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hi have to ask Mel, do yuo have any experience of how things work in brussels? I do. i worked there for nearly a decade lobbying the Parliament, the Commission and the Council. A lot of people in the Parliament work very hard to ensure that there is democratic input to law making, and that proposals do not pass without rigourous debate. The myths and caricatures put around by the Kippers are ridiculous, completely at odds with reality. When you add the factor that alongside the EP, the democratically elected governments of Europe all meet and vote in the Council of Ministers, the idea that the EU has no democratic scrutiny is just plain wrong.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

mb1 wrote:Hi have to ask Mel, do yuo have any experience of how things work in brussels? I do. i worked there for nearly a decade lobbying the Parliament, the Commission and the Council. A lot of people in the Parliament work very hard to ensure that there is democratic input to law making, and that proposals do not pass without rigourous debate. The myths and caricatures put around by the Kippers are ridiculous, completely at odds with reality. When you add the factor that alongside the EP, the democratically elected governments of Europe all meet and vote in the Council of Ministers, the idea that the EU has no democratic scrutiny is just plain wrong.

Provided you elected an MEP who actually attends.
Ian

Post by Ian »

A lot of good has come out of the EU, just a few examples: greater safety of chemicals; the working time directive; all inclusive air fares; control of pesticides harmful to humans so I always make sure I vote and support the MEP we have.

And yes, it'll be a great shame if we end up with what seems likely, a UKIP MEP who won't bother doing the job he was elected and is paid to do :x
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

The Masked Woler wrote:
mb1 wrote:Hi have to ask Mel, do yuo have any experience of how things work in brussels? I do. i worked there for nearly a decade lobbying the Parliament, the Commission and the Council. A lot of people in the Parliament work very hard to ensure that there is democratic input to law making, and that proposals do not pass without rigourous debate. The myths and caricatures put around by the Kippers are ridiculous, completely at odds with reality. When you add the factor that alongside the EP, the democratically elected governments of Europe all meet and vote in the Council of Ministers, the idea that the EU has no democratic scrutiny is just plain wrong.

Provided you elected an MEP who actually attends.
The sooner we get a proper debate and referendum on this the better, settle this issue once and for all.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Masked Woler, that's a good point. Voting for UKIP when they don't show up, yet still take a good salary and expenses is more than a bit counterproductive. Then, when they do show, they do things like voting to prevent a ban on importing ivory from elephants killed by poachers.