Waitrose

News and views on shopping in the town.
Mancunian

Re: Waitrose

Post by Mancunian »

Wareite1969 wrote: Would a Waitrose there really add anything as Hertford is nearly as close and therefore already offers an option ?
from what i heard the lease on the Hertford Waitrose has 2 years left to run, they are looking for a bigger area so mightlet that run out, shut the hertford one so they can concentrate on the one up there, no skin off my nose as won't use Waitrose anyway.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mancunian wrote:
Wareite1969 wrote: Would a Waitrose there really add anything as Hertford is nearly as close and therefore already offers an option ?
from what i heard the lease on the Hertford Waitrose has 2 years left to run, they are looking for a bigger area so mightlet that run out, shut the hertford one so they can concentrate on the one up there, no skin off my nose as won't use Waitrose anyway.
This is just more idle speculation IMHO.

Why would they close a successful town centre store?
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

My original source on this said that the Waitrose mentioned wasn't going to be a huge supermarket - they thought it was going to be fairly small, more on the lines of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Aardvaark wrote:My original source on this said that the Waitrose mentioned wasn't going to be a huge supermarket - they thought it was going to be fairly small, more on the lines of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local.
This sounds a lot more plausible.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

as i said it was only what i heard, don't know who or what to believe anymore on these things :?
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Aardvaark wrote:My original source on this said that the Waitrose mentioned wasn't going to be a huge supermarket - they thought it was going to be fairly small, more on the lines of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local.
Do Waitrose have huge supermarkets? Most seem much smaller, but then they concentrate on food not all the other stuff (mobile phones, household, cards, electrical etc)

Can't understand why no supermarket has tried the site on the Ware Rd - I would have thought that was ideal.
Littlejon

Post by Littlejon »

Waitrose supermarkets are never huge, but the one in Hertford is far too small with very limited lines and they're also unable to run a successful delivery service out of there with customers quickly getting fed up being sent food with the shortest shelf life, or not able to get hold of all the normal waitrose products they would expect. Hence the prevalence of Ocado vans all over the town.

A new one with great road access in an area that has enjoyed huge growth in new money over the last 10 years would enable them to grow the business whilst retaining all the regular customers of their bircheley green mini mart which could be turned into a nice poundland or something. Commercially, it's a good fit with van hage - they'd drive plenty of traffic to each other.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

I have visited several large Waitrose shops, so I don't think they only do small ones. Several also carry John Lewis lines like accessories, crockery, duvets, towels and other stuff. There are large stores at Rickmansworth, Cowes, St Ives (Cambs), Wallingford and Harrow, in all sorts of areas so I don't see that siting one at Van Hages would be any different for them and I think it would be a good fit. Personally I should be very pleased if this is proved to be more than a rumour, but I will miss the Hertford store if it does go as I like shopping there and have done for the last 26 years.
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

Littlejon wrote: bircheley green mini mart which could be turned into a nice poundland or something.
Brilliant....this really made me chuckle
Scouter

Post by Scouter »